These gluten free tea scones are light and fluffy inside with a delectable crunchy golden exterior.
- 350 g gluten free flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp gluten free bread soda
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 85 g cold butter cubed
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 150 g full-fat natural yoghurt
- 6 tbsp full-fat milk
- 1 egg (beaten) to glaze
- Preheat oven to 220C / 200C (fan) / gas mark 7.
- Lightly flour a baking tray with gluten free flour.
- Sieve the gluten free flour, salt, baking soda and xanthan gum into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the caster sugar.
- Add the cubed butter and rub it into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture, and stir in the natural yoghurt and milk. Work it in using a butter knife.
- Once it starts to come together to form a soft dough, tip onto a lightly floured board.
- Using floured hands, knead lightly until smooth.
- Roll out gently to about 1½in thick. Using a 7cm round cutter (dipped in gluten free flour) cut out scones, flouring the cutter each time. Re-knead lightly as necessary until all the dough is used.
- Brush tops with egg wash, then place the scones on to the floured baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 mins until risen and golden.