Lemon Drizzle Muffins
These gluten free lemon drizzle muffins are light and fluffy inside, complemented by a crisp citrus drizzle on top. Adapted from a Sarah Cook recipe cited on BBC goodfood Lemon muffins recipe – BBC Food
- 275 g gluten free self raising flour
- 225 g caster sugar
- 50 g ground almonds
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 2 unwaxed lemons finely grated zest, plus 2 tbsp juice
- 150 ml low fat milk
- 100 g unsalted butter melted
- 50 ml sunflower or vegetable oil
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
For the glaze
- 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 50 g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Sieve the gluten free flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar, almonds and lemon zest and mix well.
- Beat together the milk, butter, oil, eggs, vanilla and lemon juice in a jug. Pour over the dry ingredients and mix together gently until the dry ingredients are just wet (don’t over mix or the muffins will be tough).
- Divide the mixture between the cases (they should be about 3/4 full).
- Bake for 15–18 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Quickly use a cocktail stick or skewer to poke holes in each muffin.
- Combine the glaze ingredients straight away, then use a pastry brush or a teaspoon to cover the tops of the muffins. Repeat until all the glaze has been used.
- Lift the muffins onto a wire rack to cool a little, before eating warm or at room temperature.