Leek, Bacon and Potato Soup
This is an indulgent creamy gluten free soup, perfect as a starter or even for lunch with some homemade brown soda bread. Adapted from Sara Buenfeld's Leek, Bacon and Potato Soup recipe Leek, bacon & potato soup recipe | BBC Good Food
- 25 g butter
- 4 streaky bacon rashers chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 2 leeks sliced
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 1.2 litres gluten free chicken/vegetable stock
- 142 ml single cream
- 4 rashers streaky rashers chopped, to serve
- Melt the butter in a large pan, then fry the bacon until crisp.
- Add onion, stirring until it starts to turn golden.
- Tip in the leeks, celery and potatoes, stir well, then cover and turn down the heat. Cook gently for 5 mins, shaking the pan every now and then to make sure that the mixture doesn’t stick.
- Pour in the stock, season well and bring to the boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 mins until the vegetables are soft.
- Leave to cool for a few mins, then blend in a food processor in batches until smooth.
- Return to the pan, pour in the cream and stir well. Taste and season if necessary.
- Serve scattered with crispy bacon and cracked black pepper.