The Home Economics Bit
Did you know?
School cake is a simple vanilla sponge topped with glacé icing and lots of colourful sprinkles. Its name – School Cake / Vanilla School Cake / Old School Cake / Retro School Cake – comes from it being a favourite part of school dinners for many UK students over the years. This nostalgia, added to the fact that it’s a super simple bake, has led to a boom in the numbers of School Cake recipes online. Here’s my gluten free version!
Gluten Free Vanilla School Cake
- 200 g gluten free self-raising flour sifted
- 200 g butter softened, plus extra to grease
- 200 g vanilla sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 50 ml milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 g icing sugar sifted
- colourful sprinkles ensure gluten free
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Use some butter to grease a 20 x 30cm cake tin, then line with greaseproof paper.
- Add in the eggs, milk and vanilla extract and beat briefly to combine.
- Add the sifted gluten free flour and mix again until you achieve a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin. Spread to the corners and lightly smooth the surface using a spatual.
- Bake for 40-45 mins until golden, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes. Then turn out, peel away the parchment paper and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix the icing sugar with just enough water to make a thick glacé icing.
- Spread the icing over the cooled cake and top with lots of colourful sprinkles.
- Leave the icing to set for at least 1 hour.
- Once set, cut the into squares.