The Home Economics Bit
The Creaming Method
This gluten free toffee apple loaf cake is made using the creaming method of cake making. The creaming method is a baking technique that helps to incorporate lots of air into a mixture. Air is a natural raising agent, so it helps the bake to rise well in the oven. In the creaming method, butter and sugar are beaten together until they become pale, light and fluffy. After this stage, other ingredients are added (generally flour, eggs, etc.).
Gluten Free Toffee Apple Loaf Cake
A delectably moist gluten free apple loaf cake topped with a creamy and buttery toffee drizzle and chopped walnuts.
- 175 g caster sugar
- 175 g butter softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 225 g gluten free self raising flour
- 2 sweet apples peeled, cored and finely diced
- 30 g walnuts chopped
- 50 g soft toffee I used Walkers Creamy English Toffees – gluten free
- 4 tbsp cream
- Preheat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Grease and line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Using an electric whisk or stand mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light, pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla extract.
- Sieve in the flour and add the yoghurt. Add the diced apples and mix everything together with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the tin, smooth the top using a table spoon and scatter the chopped walnuts down the middle.
- Bake 1 hr 20 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Meanwhile, add the cream and toffees to a small saucepan and heat over a low heat, stirring often, until the toffees have melted to form a creamy toffee sauce.
- Set the toffee sauce aside to cool a little as you turn the cake out onto a cake stand.
- Use a tablespoon to drizzle the toffee sauce over the top of the cake. Allow to set for a few minutes before serving. Best enjoyed fresh.
Really tasty moist cake with a delish straight forward sauce. Definitely making this again 👌🏻