The Home Economics Bit
Did you know?
A tray bake is a cake that is baked in a square or rectangular tin and then cut in to squares or slices to serve. Tray bakes are usually very quick and easy to make. Examples of tray bakes include Brownies, Blondies, Millionaire’s Shortbread, Lemon Squares, Chocolate Mascarpone, etc.
Gluten Free Chocolate Mascarpone Tray Bake
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder ensure gluten free
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 5 tbsp boiling water
- 100 g milk chocolate chips ensure gluten free
- 4 large eggs
- 225 g butter (room temperature) / margarine
- 225 g caster sugar
- 225 g gluten free self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder ensure gluten free
For the icing
- 250 g mascarpone cheese full fat
- 4 tbsp icing sugar sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- cocoa powder for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C Fan/Gas 4. Grease and line a 9 × 12in tin with baking paper.
- Measure the cocoa powder, coffee and boiling water into a large bowl and mix with a spoon into a smooth paste.
- Add all of the remaining sponge ingredients (apart from the chocolate chips) and mix together (using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment or with an electric hand whisk) until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake in the middle of the preheated oven for about 35 minutes.
- Leave to cool in the tin, then remove the baking paper and transfer on to a wire rack.
- To make the icing, mix the mascarpone, icing sugar and vanilla extract together in a bowl. Spread over the surface of the cold cake and dust with cocoa powder to finish.