A mild authentic Indian chicken curry that’s sure to become a firm family favourite. Best served alongside pilau rice or homemade gluten free naan bread.
The Home Economics Bit
Chicken breast is low in saturated fat and an excellent source of HBV protein which is needed for growth and repair, and the production of hormones, enzymes and antibodies.
Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamins A and C. Cooking destroys a lot of the vitamin C which is sensitive to heat, so tomatoes are best eaten raw where possible. Vitamins A and C are both antioxidants, so they help the immune system to work effectively. Vitamin A also helps to support vision in dim light, while vitamin C aids the absorption of iron in the body.
Gluten Free Chicken Balti
- 800 g chicken thighs diced
- 10 g fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 4 – 6 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 large tomatoes quartered
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp full-fat natural yoghurt
- 1 onion finely diced
- 2 whole red chillies pierced
- 2 whole green chillies pierced
- Blend the garlic, ginger and tomatoes together until smooth.
- Stir in the natural yoghurt, salt and ground spices.
- Heat a non-stick pan to a medium-high heat. Once hot, add the rapeseed oil. Add the mustard seeds and cook until they've popped.
- Add the onions and chillies and cook over a medium heat for approx. 5 minutes, until the onions have softened and turned lightly golden in colour.
- Add the blended mixture and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and cook for approx. 4 minutes until much of the liquid has evaporated and you're left with a smooth paste.
- Add the chicken and cook in the paste for 2-3 minutes over a low-medium heat.
- Add just enough water to cover the chicken. Bring to the boil for 12-15 minutes, until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the sauce has reduced to a desirable creamy consistency.
- Taste, adjust seasoning if required, and serve with pilau rice / gluten free naan.