The Home Economics Bit
Chicken breast is low in saturated fat and an excellent source of HBV protein which is needed for growth and repair, and the production of hormones, enzymes and antibodies.
Broccoli is a highly nutritious green vegetable. It’s an excellent source of minerals such as non-haem iron which is needed for healthy blood, and vitamins including vitamins A and C which are powerful antioxidants. It is also a great source of fibre to aid digestion.
Gluten Free Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Bake
- 3 chicken breasts diced
- 1 head broccoli broken into florets
- 1 onion diced
- 250 g gluten free penne pasta
- 250 ml fresh cream
- 500 ml full fat milk
- 3 tsp gluten free plain flour
- 3 tsp water
- 200 g gluten free breadcrumbs
- 50 g grated cheddar
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- salt and pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cook the gluten free pasta until just al dente. Strain and set aside.
- Heat a non stick pan to a medium/high heat. Once hot, add 1 tbsp rapeseed oil.
- Add the chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes to seal.
- Add the onion and the broccoli and continue to cook for a further 3-4 minutes until the onion is beginning to soften.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add the milk and cream and cook for a further 4-5 minutes until the liquid has started to reduce.
- Mix the gluten free flour with the water in a small bowl to form a paste. Add to the pan and cook, stirring continuously, for a further 2-3 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the strained pasta to the pan. Stir until coated in sauce.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with gluten free breadcrumbs and grated cheddar. Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden and bubbling.