Gingerbread Loaf Cake
This gluten free gingerbread is the perfect autumnal treat. With a rich, spiced, warm flavour, a crunchy exterior and a mouthwateringly moist crumb; what's not to love? Adapted from an Odlums Ginger Bread recipe Ginger Bread Recipe | Odlums
- 225 g plain gluten free flour sieved
- 65 g dark muscovado sugar
- 60 g soft light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp bread soda ensure gluten free
- 125 g butter
- 125 g treacle
- 125 g golden syrup
- 3 heaped tsp ground ginger ensure gluten free
- 1/4 pint milk
- 1 egg lightly whisked
- Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Line a 7" loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- Dissolve the bread soda with 1 tablespoon of the milk in a small bowl.
- Melt the butter with the sugars, golden syrup, treacle and the remaining milk in a saucepan over a low heat stirring all the time (do not allow to become too hot or the mixture will burn).
- Remove from the heat and cool to lukewarm.
- Sieve the plain gluten free flour and the ground ginger into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the lukewarm liquid mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Next add in the beaten egg, and beat the mixture until smooth.
- Finally mix in the dissolved bread soda, pour into the prepared loaf tin and bake in a pre-heated oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Leave in the tin for 30 minutes to cool, then turn out, remove the greaseproof paper and cool on a wire tray.
- Once cooled, store in an airtight tin.
- I serve mine sliced and slightly warmed, and smothered in real butter.
The flavour and texture of this gingerbread loaf cake will improve if it is left for 2-3 days before cutting.