The Home Economics Bit
Did you know?
Though cupcakes have become hugely popular in recent years, they are not a new invention. The earliest mention of cupcakes is at the end of the 18th century, meaning they originated over 200 years ago. It is believed that the name ‘cupcake’ comes from how the ingredients were measured, i.e. in cups.
Double Chocolate Cupcakes
- 175 g gluten free self raising flour sifted
- 150 g butter at room temperature
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp chocolate spread OR 1 piece of chocolate ensure gluten free
For the buttercream
- 225 g icing sugar sifted
- 150 g butter at room temp.
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder sifted, ensure gluten free
- Preheat oven to 190°C/Gas 5.
- Line a cupcake tin with paper cases.
- In a large a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until smooth, light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs. Beat.
- Fold in the gluten free flour.
- Add up to 2 tbsp milk if required.
- Put spoonfuls of the mixture into base of paper cases.
- Place a piece of chocolate or drop teaspoons of chocolate spread on top, then top with another spoonful of mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until risen and golden brown. Cool on a wire tray.
- Beat the butter, icing sugar and cocoa powder together until smooth.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, pipe or spread the buttercream on top and decorate as desired.