A healthy and gluten free alternative to a popular Chinese takeaway dish. This homemade chicken and cashew nut stir fry has all the flavour you’d expect from your favourite takeaway version, but with the added benefit of being nutritious.
The Home Economics Bit
Chicken breast is low in saturated fat and an excellent source of HBV protein which is needed for growth and repair, and the production of hormones, enzymes and antibodies.
Cashew nuts are a very good source of unsaturated fat which is needed for heat and energy. They also supply fibre to aid digestion, and LBV protein for growth and repair.
Rice provides carbohydrates for energy. Unrefined brown rice also provides fibre which promotes healthy digestion.
Chicken and Cashew Nut Stir Fry
- 6 tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 chicken breasts diced
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp salt to season
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper to season
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 1 small head of broccoli broken into florets
- 100 g unsalted cashew nuts
- 120 ml water
- Mix together the gluten free soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil, minced ginger and crushed garlic in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss the diced chicken breasts with the salt, pepper, and corn flour until evenly coated.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. Once hot, add the remaining sesame oil, followed by the chicken. Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes, until it's beginning to brown.
- Remove the chicken onto a plate using a slotted spoon, and set aside.
- Add the diced peppers and broccoli florets, and cook over a high heat for 2-3 minutes until al dente.
- Return the chicken to the pan, along with the sauce, the cashew nuts and the water. Cook over a medium heat for a further 3-4 minutes, until the sauce has reduced and the chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Serve on a bed of steamed basmati rice, garnished with some sliced spring onion.