Best Ever Baked Potatoes
My husband came across this method for making baked potatoes online a few years ago. I was skeptical at first, not expecting to be swayed from my traditional method – of wrapping spuds in tin foil and chucking them into a hot oven until they'd softened – but, the results were excellent! This is now my go-to method for making baked potatoes. The flesh is soft and fluffy – divine smothered in real butter – and the skins are super crispy. For a nutritious, budget-friendly family meal, why not serve with tuna, sweetcorn, crème fraîche, grated cheese and a side salad. I guarantee you'll never go back to the tinfoil method again once you've tried these; my aptly named Best Ever Baked Potatoes!
- 4 floury baking potatoes Maris Piper/Rooster are my varieties of preference
- 6 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large bowl of brine (salted water) Ratio: 4 tbsp salt to 4 cups cold water
- Add 4 tbsp salt and 4 cups of cold water to a large bowl.
- Pierce the potato skins 10-12 times using a fork.
- Soak the potatoes in brine for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 220 C.
- Remove the potatoes from the brine and place onto a baking tray. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove the potatoes from the oven. Brush with oil, then return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!