The Home Economics Bit
Did you know?
Vodka sauce is one of the most popular sauces in Italian cooking due to its flavoursome and unique taste. It is a tomato-based sauce combined with double cream and a little vodka. The vodka gives the sauce a unique depth of flavour, adding both a delectable sweetness and tanginess.
Gluten Free Vodka Pasta
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 100 g tomato puree
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes optional
- 100 ml double cream
- 4 tbsp vodka
- 200 g gluten free penne pasta
- 40 g Parmesan grated
- cracked black pepper to serve
- Heat a large frying pan and, once hot, add the oil.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta as per packet instructions. Once cooked, drain and reserve 150ml cooking water.
- Add the garlic and chilli flakes to the softened shallots and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir through the tomato purée and cook for 2 mins.
- Stir through the vodka and cook for 3 mins.
- Stir through the cream until evenly combined, then remove the sauce from the heat.
- Add roughly 50ml of the reserved pasta cooking water to the tomato sauce. Stir to combine.
- Tip in the pasta and the grated parmesan. Toss everything together over a low heat until the pasta is well coated and glossy. Add a little more of the cooking water if required.
- Season to taste, then serve with a sprinkling of the parmesan and cracked black pepper.