The Home Economics Bit
Custard creams are a popular type of biscuit in Ireland and the UK. These sandwich biscuits are filled with a creamy, vanilla custard flavoured centre. It is believed that the custard cream biscuit originated in Britain in 1908.
Gluten Free Custard Creams
My homemade gluten free custard creams are so much better than any of the shop-bought varieties. These classic melt in the mouth biscuits are best enjoyed with a lovely cup of tea!
- 175 g gluten free self raising flour
- 3 tbsp custard powder ensure gluten free
- 1 tsp baking powder ensure gluten free
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 100 g hard butter
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
For the custard buttercream
- 1 tbsp custard powder ensure gluten free
- 100 g icing sugar
- 50 g butter
- 1 tsp boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 160°C Fan/gas mark 4.
- To make the biscuits, put the flour, custard powder and baking powder into a mixing bowl and stir to mix evenly.
- Cut the butter into small cubes, and add to the dry ingredients.
- Rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Tip in the sugar and stir (using a wooden spoon/spatula) to combine.
- Mix the egg and milk together.
- Add the wet ingredients slowly to the dry ingredients, until a soft dough forms. Note: You not need to add all of the egg/milk, or you may need to add more milk to make it come together.
- Form the dough into a ball. Press it down into a fat disc. Then wrap it in clingfilm (or an environmentally friendly alternative) and let it rest in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly (gluten free) floured surface to a thickness of about 4mm.
- Using your favourite cookie cutter, cut out an even number of shapes. (Re-roll 'scraps' of pastry as necessary to maximise your yield).
- Bake on a flat baking tray lined with greaseproof paper for 15 minutes, until the edges are just beginning to turn golden.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the custard cream, put the custard powder and icing sugar a food processor and pulse briefly to combine.
- Add the butter, and blitz together until you get a smooth cream. Add the teaspoon of boiling water and pulse again.
- To assemble, gently sandwich each biscuit with about 1 teaspoon of custard cream.