Gluten Free Crumpets
Who knew that light and fluffy gluten free crumpets are so simple to make at home?! Follow this recipe from the Queen of Gluten Free – Becky Excell – for the ultimate gluten free crumpets My Gluten Free Crumpets Recipe (vegan/dairy free option + low FODMAP) (glutenfreecuppatea.co.uk)
- 400 ml full fat milk
- 1.5 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp dry active yeast ensure gluten free
- 300 g gluten free self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda ensure gluten free
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Heat the milk gently until just warm.
- Add the caster sugar and yeast to the warm milk and stir. Leave for about 10 minutes until the mixture starts to get a little frothy.
- Sieve the gluten free flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the frothy milk mixture. Using an electric whisk, mix until smooth.
- Cover the bowl with lightly oiled cling film and leave to prove, covered in a warm place for about 90 minutes (there should be some air bubbles on the top once it's done).
- Heat a frying pan to a medium heat and, once hot, add a tbsp oil. Place either a couple of egg rings or biscuit cutters in the pan.
- Once the pan is hot enough, put two and a half tbsp of the batter in each ring and allow to cook for about 5 minutes. Little air bubbles should start to appear on the surface.
- Flip the crumpets over and cook the other side for a minute or two.
- Remove from the pan and repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve hot from the pan or simply reheat in a toaster. Delish served with butter and golden syrup/maple syrup/jam.